Monday, September 17, 2012

My little space heater

From my unpublished archive, March 26, 2011.

My precious little (8.5 lb) computer has been overheating and underperforming for the last few weeks1. So much that I can't even keep my hand flat on the bottom for more than a few seconds. This is not normal.

A while back, I replaced my laptop fan because the old one was dying. I'm still quite proud of myself2, 3 for parlaying a $50 investment into another year or two of my computer's life. But since the symptoms have recurred, I either accept that I fixed it wrong, or I take apart my entire computer.

So, after taking apart my computer, I found a very innocuous explanation for the overheating: dust. The exhaust vent was clogged by dust. One twist-tie cleaning later, I put my computer to the test by wireless streaming the Fellowship of the Ring full-screen on Netflix.4

Frodo and I are happy to report, the problem is solved.


1 Footnote Mad Lib: Kind of like an old __[noun]__ of mine.
2 Ask me about it sometime.
3 No, really. Do.
4 If your computer can handle that with no problems, then it's not six years old, and part of me doesn't want to speak to you, but does want to get to know your computer better.

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy you are blogging again. It always puts at least a smile on my face, if not a laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete